From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:31:11 +0100
On Oct 24, 2005, at 6:34 pm, Lynnet Bannion wrote:

> Most of the GM crops are engineered to tolerate
> a heavy dose of herbicide (such as Roundup) that would kill a non-
> GM crop.
> More pesticides on our crops rather than less, and thus more expense
> to the farmer from the pesticide and the more expensive seed.
> We're trying to fool Mother Nature with these high-tech, high-
> petroleum
> solutions, and it won't last.  Eventually the production of human food
> will be back on a pay-as-you-go basis, as it was during the 2m years
> before industrial agriculture.
>
> Off the soapbox for now......... hopefully, not too far off-topic.
>
>    Lynnet

Lynnet

This whole thread has been really interesting... I had no idea my
question would bring up ideas like this.  I never considered just how
much oil is burnt producing the foods we eat now.  I'd like to eat
more locally, but getting local AND organic is very difficult.  I
would have to travel further to get some British blackcurrants than I
would to get some flown thousands of miles from the USA.  (Not next
year though... I've just filled every last hole in the garden with a
fruit bush or tree...)

I am definitely on the side that paleo is the future.  I don't think
modern food production is sustainable.  In fact, I don't think it was
meant to be- as usual, people are too concerned about the here and
now to care about the consequences for their children.

Ashley