Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:32:31 -0500
T Croteau wrote:
> > Is that the one that allows only monosaccharides, not disaccharides or
> > starches?
> Yes that's the one, only mono's allowed
In that case, paleo diet and the specific carb diet are only accidentally similar.
There is nothing in paleo dieting that precludes complex carbs, as long as
they have been in our ancestors diets for long enough periods of time. Some foods
that are excluded from paleo (grains, many starchy veggies) are also excluded
on the specific carb diet but for different reasons. In some respect these diets
are similar - both limit the amount of carbs that reach into lower intestines,
limiting yeast growth. However, the specific carb diet achieves this by having
carbs that are easily absorbed even by people with digestive problems, while
paleo diets tend (but don't have) to be fairly low carb as well as reducing
digestive problems in general.

Ilya