From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:23:32 GMT
Echinacea should be taken at the first sign of symptoms for maximum
effectiveness (good to know in the future) but it's never too late. It
should NOT be taken daily, but only during the course of the
infection. It
is not effective as a daily supplement. My favored form of
administration is
an infusion (tea). Bring pure water to a rolling boil, pour over loose
echinacea flowers in a non-metal pot (or just use a bag if you must).
Allow
to steep, covered, for 15 minutes. May add a TOUCH of honey to taste
but
definitely don't "sweeten" it. You can also steep it with a slice of
fresh
ginger for taste and immune support. Echinacea is contraindicated for
persons with allergy to daisies/chamomile, as it is a member of the
daisy
family. Sage is another herb that is great for a cold. Make a tea with
it.
It tastes awful but works great.

I would say absolutely skip the vitamin C megadoses. I recommend fresh
pressed carrot juice (perhaps with a bit of apple and celery to make
it more
palatable for your brother) If you don't have a juicer, check with
your
local mall- most have a juice bar. They'll be glad to make your juice
for
you. I also recommend making broth from fresh bones, and adding lots
of
fresh garlic in the last few minutes of cooking. The allicin in garlic
is a
strong anitbacterial, antiviral, antifungal.

Definitely skip the antibiotics.
Stacie