From:
Michele Wiedemer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:36:08 -0800
I am a returning list member. I started eating paleo
about 1 1/2 yrs ago after being diagnosed with celiac
disease and multiple food allergies, and after finding
the "specific carbohydrate diet" not working for me
(it allows lactose-free dairy products, but other than
that, pretty paleo). After I got settled into the
paleo diet, I quit the list--having a hard time
keeping up.

Well now I am back--5 months pregnant--and in need of
support from the experts again. So here are my
questions. Any help is appreciated!

1. Still varying between queasy and starving. A
typical paleo meal for me (meat and veggies) just
doesn't do it. I've tried rice foods a few times
without too severe of consequences, but I really feel
better doing without those. What can I do when I get
really hungry?

2. Aversion to most veggies I used to like, example
broccoli, cabbage, etc (way too much gas!). I'm left
with salads, when I feel up to it, and carrots. What
else can I try?

3. I'm finding this diet very expensive. Is there
something I'm missing? Our grocery bill seems to go up
every week. I'm hoping to be a stay-at-home-mom come
this summer, but have really got to cut back on
expenses to make it work. The only one I haven't
figured out is the food bill. Sure, I could grow and
hunt my own, but in our situation, that just isn't
practical. And with a diet based on meat, nuts, and
fruit, there isn't much opportunity for using coupons
or achieving a beans and rice budget! Any suggestions
on economizing?

Any help is appreciated! Glad to be back with the
group.
Michele