From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:10:37 -0400
Many factors conspire to make processed milk unhealthy.

1. Food processors pasteurize milk 4-5-6 times, not just
once like most people assume. RE-heating causes compound
damage exponentially greater than heating once. It also
causes nutrients to break down faster, leading to an off
or bitter taste, and health complications like allergy,
indigestion, acid reflux, etc. The people who adulterate
our food verify successful pasteurization by the absence
of enzymes like phosphatase (involved in assimilation of
calcium and other minerals). They use pasteurization to
hide low quality, unclean milk, and sloppy handling.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/26/pasteurized_milk.htm
http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/26/organic_foods.htm

2. Homogenization encapsulates the toxic enzyme xanthine
oxidase (XO) in a protective fat membrane. This allows
XO to escape digestion, clogging arteries and destroying
heart muscle. Thus, even infants in nations that drink
homogenized milk show severe atherosclerosis at time of
autopsy. Young American soldiers who died in Korea and
Vietnam already had extensive cardio-vascular lesions,
because of this toxic homogenized fat (and the oxidized
cholesterol the military fed them in powdered milk and
powdered eggs). Milk and half-n-half sold in most stores
contain homogenized fat.

http://www.keepwell.com/homog.htm
http://www.all-organic-food.com/milk.htm
http://www.meadowfresh.com/XO1.html

3. Food processors remove at least half the fat in milk
(usually 6% or more by weight), calling this adulterated
product "whole milk". We need this fat to use vitamins,
minerals, and proteins in milk properly. Almost all the
milk sold in stores lacks adequate fat. Removing the fat
from milk makes it incomplete and causes us deficiencies
and health maladies.

Even if we can find raw milk, the same situation almost
always applies. For instance, Organic Pastures Dairy in
California sells "raw" milk with a paltry 2.87% fat (by
weight). This doesn't even meet the government's legal
mandate that "whole milk" must have at least 3.25% fat.
Organic Pastures LIES TO and EXPLOITS the public, just
like every other dairy in the country. They provide an
unhealthy product by default, unless you pay EXTRA for
raw cream to drink with the milk.

http://www.organicpastures.com/tests.html

4. Most milk products sold in cardboard containers have
undergone ultra-pasteurization. This artificial process
outdoes pasteurization by PRESSURE-COOKING the milk at
280ºF/138ºC, meaning 68ºF/20ºC above the boiling point
of water at sea level (212ºF/100ºC). Milk sterilized in
this way doesn't even require refrigeration. It "keeps"
for months unopened at room temperature.

http://www.otal.umd.edu/~vg/amst205.F97/vj11/sub4.html

5. Processed milk gets "fortified" with toxic vitamins.
Artificial Vitamin A causes osteoporosis. Even natural
Vitamins cause toxicity in large doses. Milk from cows
and goats contains roughly 4 times as much calcium as
human breast milk. It also contains little vitamin D,
so we do not absorb an excess of calcium from raw, un-
fortified milk. This refutes vegetarian arguments that
milk contains too much calcium. Excess calcium doesn't
create a problem unless you also eat a diet containing
excess Vitamin D. (Difficult to do unless you take cod
liver oil or eat 4 oz of liver every day.)

http://www.nutrition-health-online.com/dir/vitamin_a_osteoporosis/index.shtml
http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section1/chapter3/3e.htm

6. Processed milk mostly comes delivered in plastic or
cardboard. These containers leach toxins into the milk,
causing poisoning and accelerated spoilage. Glass does
not leach anything and provides airtight food storage.
We should go back to using returnable glass bottles as
we did in the old days. Glass keeps milk fresh longer,
and does not contaminate it with chemicals.

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/glass_carboys.htm

7. Most pasteurized (and raw) milk comes from animals
eating corn, soy, cottonseed, canola (rapeseed), and
other junk. These foods suppress thyroxine and other
hormones, create chemical imbalances, cause obesity,
damage the immune system, and generally deplete the
nutrients required for health. They pass on a legacy
of malnutrition and disease down the food chain.

http://www.westonaprice.org/farming/splendor.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/farming/hormones.html

Conclusion: We should avoid pasteurized/heated dairy
products. Raw milk tastes better, lasts longer, and
prevents the development of pathogens. All epidemics
of salmonella resulted from pasteurized milk. Other
disease epidemics (some resulting in death) resulted
from properly pasteurized milk. Raw milk hasn't been
proved responsible for any epidemics or deaths. Raw
milk takes the blame because of prejudicial "health"
departments and circumstantial evidence.

http://www.realmilk.com/foodborne.html
http://www.karlloren.com/aajonus/p15.htm

Also, raw milk does not exist in a vacuum. We can't
selectively blame health problems on one food. We
must consider other factors of diet and lifestyle.
We can't explain all health problems with a single
variable (cooking, for instance). We must develop
a wider context. Otherwise, we depend on political
propaganda instead of science.

What foods probably cause disease? OLD cooked food,
RE-heated food; refined, bleached, deodorized oils;
steam distilled, solvent extracted, filtered, and
hydrogenated oils; homogenized dairy fat; refined,
bleached table salt dried at 400ºF/204ºC; any food
heated above boiling (212ºF/100ºC), refined grains
and sugars; artificial sweeteners; fake fats like
Olestra and poly-dextrose; refined grains such as
white flour and white rice; artificial flavorings,
colorings, preservatives, and additives; most all
polyunsaturated and monounsaturated oils...

-Bruce Kleisner