From:
Thomas Seay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:54:01 -0700
Rachel,

You obviously have problems finding balance and believe
that someone has to fanatically follow a diet or some other type of
regimen in order for it to be effective.

No, heavy drinking is not good....some people might not tolerate any
alcohol at all.  Let each person judge for himself.  However, for most
of us social drinking
every now and then is a PLEASURE.  I know that for extremists
"PLEASURE" and "FUN" do not figure into the equation.  The only
important thing to such people is
to neurotically follow their program to the letter.  Yours is the logic
of small minds who need to follow strict rules.

I have worked for years in Silicon Valley as a Computer
Engineer (at Sun Microsystems...now I am teaching at San Francisco
State).  Many of my colleagues are brilliant....despite the fact that
they enjoy an occasional drink.  In fact, I have seen some of their
best ideas come out in the leisure of an afterwork drink.

Of course, I would dissuade you from drinking Rachel...you probably
take all things to excess (as you do your dietary practices) and would
no doubt risk severe alcoholism.

And now for my favorite quote:

"All things in moderation, including moderation!"

Thomas
===
Thomas Morgan Seay
984 Valencia Street