From:
crON Lite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 05:00:35 -0600
ALL:

Anyone interested in blood lipid tests for HDL & LDL & TRIG, etc. should
consider researching this new & improved, more direct lipid measurements,
form of blood lipid testing.  The following company (Direct Labs) is -not-
the only one offering such a test, but I have used their excellent services
along with many others I know of.  (no complaints)  Cost is $94 from Direct
Labs.

Lastly, I certainly think some paleo higher fat diets (over 40%) might need
to be confirmed or disproved by using this test & reporting your results
back to this list.  Probably knowing your generic HDL & LDL number is not
enough "good data".  You may need the breakdown into its subgroups to know
what your diet is really doing to your cardio & vascular health.

Here are good sources of info (VAP test) to learn more:

http://directlabs.com/VAP.php

http://www.atherotech.com/PressRoom/vapliterature.asp

http://www.thevaptest.com./

http://www.atherotech.com/

     The  VAP Cholesterol Test

·        Directly measures total cholesterol

·    Directly measures HDL and

      separates into HDL2 and HDL3

      (HDL2 is the “best” cholesterol and

       when low is a risk factor for CAD,

       HDL3 is the least protective HDL).

·        Directly measures LDL and

 separates into 3 components –

             LDL-R, Lp(a), & IDL (Total LDL

             may be normal but one of the 3

             components of LDL may be

             elevated and indicate a risk for

 CAD.  Lp(a) is a genetic

 risk factor that when elevated could

 indicate a higher risk for heart

 disease.  IDL is also a genetic risk

 factor.)

·        Measures LDL pattern density.  (Pattern A indicates large, buoyant
LDL particles.  Pattern B indicates small, dense LDL particles and is most
atherogenic).

·        Directly measures triglycerides.

·        Directly measures triglyceride-rich lipids: VLDL1,2 VLDL3 and Total
VLDL (VLDL 3 is small, dense and most dangerous).

·        Fasting not required.  ATPIII requires expanded lipid test when
triglycerides > 400mg/dL and suggests direct measured LDL in non-fasting
state.

.