From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 08:48:48 -0600
>So what is it specifically about Atkins that makes it diuretic? Is it
>ketosis, in which case wouldn't a low-carb paleo diet produce the same
>effect?

I'm not a puhfershnul but, yeah, you got the gist of it.  What I can't
relate to is feeling tired on a low-carb diet.  My energy went through the
roof immediately with a lifetime of insomnia gone in just 72 hours; for that
reason alone I'll never go back.

I will say, though, I tried the "fat fast" a few times (1,000 calories per
day comprised almost entirely of fat, i.e. macadamias, egg yolks, etc.) and
THEN, bam.  And I got more than just tired and jittery after a day and a
half; nine years ago I had brain surgery due to a benign malformation that
caused mild seizures.  A fat fast without fail and even if I'm just not
eating enough, period, and I get a mild seizure.  Got one yesterday; I've
been cutting way down on my food intake over the last few days.  Like I
said, a fat fast did it every diddly time; just inadequate food intake makes
for a mild maybe.

Before I go on tooooo long, let me say this.  The Atkins fat fast WILL have
you dropping weight, but I don't think it's worth it; you can eat 1,000
calories a day comprised of meat, good oils and veggies and have something
to actually EAT, still lose weight and not feel like you're running on fumes
while you do it.  That's pretty much what I'm doing now (4 meals/day
comprised of 2.5 ounces meat, max, plus good oil and veggies to taste) and
it comes to around just that; 1,000 calories a day, unless what you eat is
SWIMMING in oil.  I, personally, feel my best when sticking to this and,
most likely, in ketosis.  Can't afford those little magical sticks to see if
I am or not.

Dori