From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:42:47 -0500
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jim Swayze wrote:

> I'd already conceded the point about calories versus carbohydrates.

I missed that, because that's the point that I was addressing,
ie., your statement: "The book's full message on losing weight is
that you can eat all you want until you have reached a plateau,
at which point you have to consider caloric restriction."  I
think we can agree that this is a reasonable approach, but it's
*not* the approach recommended in any edition of Neanderthin.

> My
> only promise was to find the post-plateau concept in the book.  As I said
> yesterday, "I don't believe that I dreamed the post-plateau idea up..."

That's fine.  I didn't think you dreamed it up.  The point under
discussion was whether Audette ever acknowledges that to continue
losing weight it may be necessary to restrict calories.  He
doesn't.

> Another comment.  I want to be exact here.  I called the book "Neanderthin"
> yesterday, which was apparently not a good enough cite for you.  In a fit
> of enthusiasm, you said that "the full title of the book is "Neanderthin :
> Eat Like a Caveman to Achieve a Lean, Strong, Healthy Body."  I should
> point out to you that's the title of the mass released St. Martin's edition
> of 1999.  The original title is "Neanderthin: A Caveman's Guide to
> Nutrition", which saw three editions in the time period from March, 1995 to
> June, 1996.

True.  I have been referring to the St. Martin's edition, since
it is the one that is still in print.  I have the previous
edition as well, and my comments apply to that one too.  I agree
that the entire book is not about weight loss, but that fact is
irrelevant to the fact that sections of it are about weight loss,
and those sections make very specific claims.

I don't know if you have struggled with obesity.  If so, you may
know something of the envy the obese have for those who seem to
be able to eat without restriction, without becoming obese.
Restriction is tiresome.  Neanderthin promises that we can
exchange one type of restriction -- quantity -- for another --
types of foods.  To those of us who have had to restrict quantity
for decades, this is a *very* seductive promise.  But it's a
false promise nonetheless, for many of us.

Todd Moody