From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:33:57 -0500
As for eating second year marigolds (etc), I would not do it. Pesticides and
fertilizers are only part of the factor. StuffMart (Home Improvement store
and Gardening Supply) purchased flowers are more than likely genetically
altered to be prettier and more hardy. The idea that they would be eaten is
never considered.

If I were going to plant marigolds with the intention to eat them, I would
be particular about two things: are they organic? and are they meant for
human consumption?

I regret that I cannot provide a source to buy edible marigolds, I have
never grown any edible flowers except zucchini...which I had back in the day
when I batter-dipped and fried them. Shenandoah Farms brand herbs sells
packets of edible flowers in the fresh herb section of the produce aisle. I
do not think they are certified organic though. They are intended for human
consumption however. You might be able to find organic marigold seeds at
Whole Foods Market, or your local health food store may be able to order
seeds or plants for you. Be sure to indicate that you want to eat them.

Zucchini/squash blossoms are a good omelet ingredient.
Stacie