From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:18:21 +0200
Kirt wrote:
I wrote:
>>At least you have 25% as of the protein weight as fat.
>>That is paleolithcally a top value for our climate.
>
>Marrow simply isn't low in fat. Like Hans, I question where these

>stats are
>from or is there a translation difficulty or what. Anyone who has

>eaten
>marrow knows it is not mostly water, nor 4:1, protein:fat. It is

>similar to
>butter.
Last time I saw fresh marrow (form a surgery video) it appeared
very liquid-containing to me.
Of course nutrition lists may show differing results.
Maybe fat animals or animals different from cattle have more fat in
the marrow,
maybe that one item is erraneous.
So what.
Marrow and brain *are* significant fat sources in paleolithic times.
 (see Cordain at: Total body fat content of wild ungulates at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9803&L=paleodiet&P=R123
  )
 1.4% fat is not too much.

> This reminds me of when you found some stats that said there was no
>EPA or DHA in human breast milk...
Kirt, the USDA Database did and does list human milk with a
DHA and EPA content of 0.000 - not unknown or unlisted.
Which other database lists the lipid profile of food items?
Maybe there are different results, or mothers eating brains
have EPA in their milk...

At last, just to please Mary, i found a Cordain article
mentioning a *very* high fat in marrow:
Citing from paleodiet:

<<... Recent unpublished data (we will abstract this data for the
Federation meeting this Fall)  from our laboratory shows that

although
the lipid content of  wild animal marrow (a food commonly used by
preagricultural man) is generally quite high in total fat percent

(~90%
or >), it contains the lowest saturated fat content (20%) of four
tissues we have studied (brain, marrow, white adipose tissue and

brain).

Sorry or happy... my program had a mistake or marrow is something

different.

Cheers,
Amadeus

---