From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:24:48 +0100
On Jun 21, 2004, at 11:34 pm, Wally Day wrote.
> My brother-in-law had some relatives visiting him at his cabin in
> central
> Idaho. He decided to feed them a local "delicacy", Rocky Mountain
> Oysters.
> (For those of you who don't recognize the term - they are lamb or calf
> testicles. Quite common around here. In fact, we have at least one
> local
> festival centered around them. They are pretty good eatin', though
> generally they are served battered and deep-fried.... but I digress...
> ).
>
> Later that evening, the hosts let the cat (calf?) out of the bag.
> Although
> surprised, most of the guests were quite impressed with the testicular
> treat, and stated that they would happily eat them again. One guest,
> however, spent the rest of the night in the bathroom puking his brains
> out.

Haha, I like the story.  Funnily enough, I've never tried testicles
myself, but I saw a program on TV once where a camera crew stood in a
shopping centre feeding them to people and the reaction was very mixed.

I read somewhere that our disgust for animal parts we are not used to
eating is because, by and large, animals are more dangerous to eat than
plants.  I'm not sure how true this is, seeing as poisonous plants
appears to outnumber poisonous animals, but I don't have another
explanation.

This does bring up a point I've wondered for a long time- when women
become pregnant, do they find the taste of liver disgusting?  Modern
science tells women to avoid liver during pregnancy because of the
retinol content, but paleo women obviously lacked this knowledge.
(Although by and large they were probably lucky not to have modern
dietary advice.)

One of my favourite meals now is a big green salad with chinese leaf
and liver pate.  I'm not sure how paleo pate is but I love it.  It
makes a change from lean meat.

Ashley