From:
kim birney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:28:52 -0800
Hi there,

> If these are the moths I'm thinking of, they come from birdseed.  If
> you keepseed for wild or domestic birds, consider keeping it in the >freezer.

Bad idea! This is from the Feb 99 issue of Bird Talk
Magazine:

". . .she (a tiel) acted as though she was choking and
couldn't get her breath. I jumped up to catch her and she
fell into my hands--dead.
. . .The necropsy  proved that she had choked on a millet
husk. I had been storing millet in the freezer in an effort
to keep it fresh, but it had dried out the millet instead."

Of course this is not conclusive evidence that freezing seed
can be harmful, but why take chances?

kim birney