From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:21:56 MST
James,

You wrote...

>Does anyone have a pemmican
>recipe which is lower in saturated fat than the standard jerkey & rendered
>fat recipe?  Could I substitute tahinni perhaps?  I am taking zocor and
>niacin for a cholesterol problem and try to keep my fat in the form of
>olive oil, canola oil or flax oil.  I am having mental difficulties working
>out how rendered fat will not destroy my blood levels.

Unsaturated fats are the good fats, true.  But if your carbs are kept low,
saturated fats will not hurt your cholesterol level.  Far from it.  Low carb
intake will get your cholesterol right were it belongs.  My own HDL/LDL
ratio (hope I have those in the right order) is 3.2 with a ratio of 5 or
less considered healthy.  And this test was taken just three months after
starting the Atkins diet and I'd only lost about 25 pounds at the time (*see
below).  I see the title Dr. by your name, so forgive me if this posting
insults your intelligence.  If I may, I highly recommend Eades & Eades'
"Protein Power".  They do the best job I've seen so far explaining the high
cholesterol/carb intake phenomenon.  In the meantime, I bet a nickel you'll
be off any cholesterol meds very soon.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

*  Sorry, Michael Audette, I used to be a fat chick.  But hey, even then; I
mighta been ugly but I was good in the dark! ;)