From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:35:38 +0100
At 20:11 2000-11-22 -0500, William wrote:
>http://www.newscientist.com/nlf/1125/taking.html

An interesting thing with that text is that the views are so much
either/or. What if our ancestors managed to survive periods at seashore,
and periods inland?

Anothe factor that they do not mention, as it is generally accepted that
the human and chimpanzee lines separated 5-7 million years ago.
Swedish research newly presented finds that assumptions that this figure
relies on probably is wrong, and that it should rather be 12 million
years. This also fits better with similar data from other species for
which more fossils are known. Also there is in fact an upper jaw from
"Ouranopithecus" from Macedonia, that is 9 million years old and is
*very* similar to 4 million old African Australopithecus jaws.
This opens new perspectives on our backgrounds long ago.

- Hans