From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 05:30:59 -0500
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Do you know any more about why phytic acid might encourage overeating?
>Does the phytic acid in nuts prevent absorption of nutrients (am I
>right in saying that is what causes the problem in grains)?

Here's my understanding: The main role of phytic acid is to hold
phosphorous; and it can chelate (bind) various minerals and trace elements.
Phytic acid inhibits the uptake of these essential substances in the small
intestine. Disregarding the action of various enzyme inhibitors in the nut,
you get your protein, carb and fat from the nut, but probably not the
minerals and trace elements in sufficient quantities. Phytic acid can even
form complexes with proteins.

The main problem with grains is not phytic acid. It's easy to deal with it
if you know how. Many nuts and seeds considered paleo have more phytic acid
than grains. Even fruit flesh has phytic acid. Phytic acid is also an anti-
oxidant. Seemingly serious problems with grains are described in Loren
Cordain's "Cereal Grains: Humanity's Double Edged Sword". Here's a copy:
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Cereal%20article.pdf

Cordain is not a fan of mine but I think the article has some interesting
information. However, I think that fermentation and cooking takes care of
many problems; and the imbalance of nutrients is partly or wholly corrected
by dairy. Grains and dairy go hand in hand in my opinion.

Fredrik