Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:19:34 -0500
<<Trying to make out that modern Paleo eaters  [remnant groups thereof] live
longer than, or as long as, these mixed food peoples is about as stupid as
Amadeus'  theory that tubers are somehow the ideal paleo food, even though
no paleo groups lived thus.>>

  Dear Miss Manners,

I belong to a mailing list comprised of many intelligent, thoughtful,
sincere people who desire to find the most proper ways to eat so as to be
healthy.  There is a man on the list who is also intelligent, but seems to
have difficulty with his adjectives.  In short, they can be very judgemental
and insulting.  I don't want to insult him, but I find it very difficult to
watch him insult others.  What would you recommend?

Signed,
Perplexed and Annoyed in Paleoland

Dear P&A in P,

   Miss Manners has noticed a trend in the past couple of decades toward
people not considering the power of their words.  Words can wound on an
emotional level just as a baseball bat to the head can wound on a physical
level.  They can also be used to heal.  Most likely, this person does not
mean any harm by his choice of words.  Perhaps the people around him use(d)
words this way so much, he does not notice how assaultive they are.

I see a few possibilities here, some better than others.  You can hope he
sees this letter; or, you can buy him my latest bestseller, Miss Manners'
Guide to Effective Communication.  You can suggest a good thesaurus as a
companion to my book.  You can give him a year's gift subscription to the
Heal Your Inner Child of the Month Book Club.  Or, you can try to meet him
'where he's at' and tell him his mother wears army boots.  Just do me one
favor, if you choose this option, make sure you don't preface it with, "Oh
yeah?"

Miss Manners abhors the sound of the non-word "yeah".

Signed,
Miss Manners