Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:22:26 -0400
Paul Sand asked:
>>why do anabolics cause acne in some cases. What exactly causes acne (higher
>>testosterone, etc.) anabolics? >>I noticed that when I'm overeating fats
>>(despite of the type) I get acne so I'm just trying to understand the reasons.

My reply:
Anabolics increase testosterone which increases oil production in the skin
follicle.  A high fat diet can increase oil production in the follicles as
well, but by a different mechanism.  Although some people can eat a high
fat/oil diet and get acne, even if they avoid junk fats (refined, processed,
or hydrogenated oils).  Some folks get pimply from excess olive oil, nuts,
seeds, or meat fat, even if good quality, and even if they stay within their
daily caloric requirements.  Different people seem to have different
tolerance levels for oils and total dietary fat.

Regards,
Rachel