Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:44:53 -0500
Katrina,

What you found is probably beef stomach lining instead of tripe proper. You'
ll recognize the honeycomb structure if that's what it is.

Sold in the US raw, first thing you have to do is cook it. Wash it in
running water, then cover it with water and add salt along with the usual
veggies for a stock-stuff you will throw away after cooking: onion with a
clove, couple of carrots, stick of celery, and sea salt. You can add herbs
and or/seaweed's like kombu.

Cooking time is in excess of two hours, in order to make it chewable but,
even then, it will still remain sort of chewy. After you drain it, you can
cut it.

In France and Spain it is typically prepared then in tomato-base sauces,
with other vegetables, or simply served with a strong vinaigrette. For
sauces you'll want to cut in squares, in strips for salads.

I do not have specific recipes beyond these basics-I tend to improvise, but
these basics will get you started. A search on Google in French or Spanish
cooking should give more.

Bon appetit,

Jacques