Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:10:28 -0500
Jack, Try not to think of it as an eating disorder.  Sugars, corn syrups,
processed carbohydrates, etc wreak havoc on our bodies' hormonal systems.
When changing to healthy eating habits I think our bodies and therefore our
minds can go a little crazy for awhile - like a heroin addict getting clean.
If you have not read it yet I suggest reading Gary Taubes book "Good
Calories Bad Calories".  It is in paperback now.

When I changed the way I had been eating at the age of 43, I spent two years
"falling off the wagon" continuously.  What helped was to remind myself that
I needed to keep practicing my new way of eating until it became a habit and
until much of the damage to my body and mind had been repaired.  Over time
my slip ups became less and less frequent.  I learned to say "no" to my mind
telling me I HAD to have fill in the blank.  Then, over time my desires for
those things diminished dramatically.

I think Phil mentioned how hard it was to deal with his mom on this.  I can
understand.  My mom was mean about it - taunting and criticizing me.  But, I
was convinced that paleo is a far healthier way to eat, and I guess her
attacks were simply part of the price paid for choosing the factual way as
opposed to the mainstream way.

Stay the course!  It IS really worth it, and you will be much happier and
healthier in the long run.  Paula H.