From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:19:36 -0800
Hi Trish,
Ketoacidosis is a serious, sometimes deadly, problem that impacts
several body systems and organs including the kidneys. However, while
ketoacidosis is a far cry from dietary ketosis, the terms are sometimes
used interchangeably. I`m confident that the article or book you are
reading is confusing these terms. Here is one explanation from Gary
Taubes (p319 of Good Calories Bad Calories):
``the ketone-body level in diabetic ketoacidosis typically exceeds 200
milligrams per deciliter compared to the 5 milligrams per deciliter
levels that are typically experienced after an overnight, 12 hour fast.``

I have once gotten as deeply into ketosis as 80 mg per dL but I usually
hover between 15 and 40.

I hope that helps.
best wishes,
Ron