From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:16:32 -0400
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, alexs wrote:

> >    2. It is well documented in the medical and health literature that excess
> >    fat in the blood and tissues makes the body "insulin-resistant" .
>
> I would suspect that this "well documented" factoid in fact has little real
> documentation to back it up. Might one presume to ask for citations
> or a even a URL to follow?

There is a fair amount of evidence to support that claim that
saturated fats contribute to insulin resistance.  I have appended
some references.  The question, however, is whether insulin
resistance is a problem if the diet is consistently low-carb, and
moderate-protein.  It seems to me that insulin resistance is a
problem only when insulin levels become raised in response to
abundant carbs or excess protein.

Todd Moody

Title
    Relation between plasma phospholipid saturated fatty acids
    and hyperinsulinemia.

Author
    Folsom AR; Ma J; McGovern PG; Eckfeldt H
Address
    Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of
Minnesota,
    Minneapolis 55454-1015, USA.
Source
    Metabolism, 1996 Feb, 45:2, 223-8

Abstract
    We determined whether plasma phospholipid fatty acid levels,
    an indicator of fatty acid composition in the diet, are
    associated with fasting serum insulin concentrations (a
    marker of insulin resistance). We examined cross-sectionally
    4,304 middle-aged adults free of diabetes. Plasma fatty acid
    composition was quantified by gas chromatography. Fasting
    insulin was strongly and positively associated with the
    saturated fatty acid percentage in plasma phospholipids,
    moderately and inversely associated with the monounsaturated
    percentage, and not appreciably associated with the
    polyunsaturated percentage. Fasting insulin adjusted for age,
    smoking status, alcohol consumption, and sports
    participation, for example, was 29% higher in men and 33%
    higher in women per 1.9% greater level of saturated fatty
    acids (the interquartile range). After adjustment for body
    mass index (BMI) and other covariates, these estimates were
    12% and 15% (P < .01 for the difference from zero).  A 1.9%
    greater increment in saturated fatty acid level was also
    associated with a 2.4-fold higher odds of hyperinsulinemia
    (fasting insulin > or = 143.5 pmol/L). These data are
    consistent with studies showing that fatty acid composition
    of cell membranes modulates insulin action, and support the
    hypothesis that increased habitual saturated fat intake or a
    related dietary pattern is a risk factor for
    hyperinsulinemia.

Title
    Insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia, and cardiovascular
    disease.  The need for novel dietary prevention strategies
    [editorial]
Author
    Rupp H
Source
    Basic Res Cardiol, 1992 Mar-Apr, 87:2, 99-105

Abstract
    Insulin resistance associated with hyperinsulinemia
    (metabolic syndrome) emerged in recent years as an important
    health risk which is present in approximately 25% of the
    normal population in western industrialized societies.
    Insulin resistance as assessed for the whole body arises from
    a reduced glucose utilization of skeletal muscle. If the
    metabolic syndrome persists over a prolonged period of time,
    detrimental influences on the cardiovascular system become
    apparent involving diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and
    arteriosclerosis. Of particular pathogenic relevance is an
    unbalanced influence of insulin arising either from a
    diminished or enhanced insulin action depending on whether
    the various tissues of the body exhibit a reduced or
    unchanged insulin sensitivity. Since insulin resistance and
    hyperinsulinemia appear to be affected by various lifestyle
    factors, the unique opportunity exists of reducing
    cardiovascular mortality by correcting this syndrome at a
    time when degenerative changes have not occurred in the
    cardiovascular system. Of great importance is the finding
    that dietary factors can have a modulatory action on insulin
    sensitivity. In animal experiments, an increased intake of
    (saturated) fat and refined carbohydrates increased insulin
    resistance. Since psychosocial distress is expected to be
    associated with a sustained activation of the sympathoadrenal
    axis, it is likely also to aggravate the metabolic syndrome.
    A factor with a beneficial action appears to be physical
    exercise. In view of the high incidence of cardiovascular
    diseases, further research on lifestyle factors with an
    insulin-sensitizing or insulin-desensitizing action is
    required. Of prime importance is the reevaluation of
    established dietary recommendations and diets should be
    designed which take into account the individual
    cardiovascular risk factor profile.

Title
    Saturated fat intake and insulin resistance in men with
    coronary artery disease. The Stanford Coronary Risk
    Intervention Project Investigators and Staff.
Author
    Maron DJ; Fair JM; Haskell WL
Address

    Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University
    School of Medicine, Calif.
Source
    Circulation, 1991 Nov, 84:5, 2020-7

Abstract
    BACKGROUND. To determine whether there is an association
    between diet and plasma insulin concentration that is
    independent of obesity, we studied the relation of dietary
    composition and caloric intake to obesity and plasma insulin
    concentrations in 215 nondiabetic men aged 32-74 years with
    angiographically proven coronary artery disease. METHODS AND
    RESULTS. After adjusting for age, the intake of saturated
    fatty acids and cholesterol were positively correlated (p
    less than 0.05) with body mass index (r = 0.18, r = 0.16),
    waist-to-hip circumference ratio (r = 0.21, r = 0.22), and
    fasting insulin (r = 0.26, r = 0.23). Carbohydrate intake was
    negatively correlated with body mass index (r = -0.21),
    waist-to-hip ratio (r = -0.21), and fasting insulin (r =
    -0.16). Intake of monounsaturated fatty acids did not
    correlate significantly with body mass index or waist-to-hip
    circumference ratio but did correlate positively with fasting
    insulin (r = 0.24). Intake of dietary calories was negatively
    correlated with body mass index (r = -0.15). In multivariate
    analysis, intake of saturated fatty acids was significantly
    related to elevated fasting insulin concentration
    independently of body mass index. CONCLUSIONS. These
    cross-sectional findings in nondiabetic men with coronary
    artery disease suggest that increased consumption of
    saturated fatty acids is associated independently with higher
    fasting insulin concentrations.

Metabolism 1996 Feb;45(2):223-228

[...]

Diabetologia 1997 Apr;40(4):430-438

High saturated fat and low starch and fibre are associated with
hyperinsulinaemia in a non-diabetic population: the San Luis
Valley Diabetes Study.

Marshall JA, Bessesen DH, Hamman RF

Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of
Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, USA.

    A geographically based sample of 1069 Hispanic and
    non-Hispanic white persons aged 20-74 years, living in
    southern Colorado and who tested normal on an oral glucose
    tolerance test (World Health Organization criteria) were
    evaluated to determine associations of dietary factors with
    fasting serum insulin concentrations.  Subjects were seen for
    up to three visits from 1984 to 1992. A 24-h diet recall and
    fasting insulin concentrations were collected at all visits.
    In longitudinal data analysis, lower age, female gender,
    Hispanic ethnicity, higher body mass index, higher waist
    circumference, and no vigorous activity were significantly
    related to higher fasting insulin concentrations.  High total
    and saturated fat intake were associated with higher fasting
    insulin concentrations after adjusting for age, sex,
    ethnicity, body mass index, waist circumference, total energy
    intake and physical activity. Dietary fibre and starch intake
    were inversely associated with fasting insulin
    concentrations. No associations with fasting insulin
    concentrations were observed for monounsaturated fat,
    polyunsaturated fat, sucrose, glucose and fructose intake.
    Associations were similar in men and women and for active and
    inactive subjects, though associations of fibre and starch
    intake with insulin concentrations were strongest in lean
    subjects. These findings support animal studies and a limited
    number of human population studies which have suggested that
    increased saturated and total fat intake and decreased fibre
    and starch intake increase fasting insulin concentrations and
    may also increase insulin resistance. These findings, which
    relate habitual macronutrient consumption to
    hyperinsulinaemia in a large population, may have
    implications for studies attempting primary prevention of
    non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.