From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:05:57 -0700
Jon Dillon wrote:
> I've been combing the archives, but decided just to join and post this.
> I recently started the Paleo diet  (a few days) and lost about 5 pounds.
> Is this normal?

Yes, since most people switching to a paleo diet will be greatly reducing
their carbohydrate intake. A water loss of 5 or more pounds in the first
week is to be expected.

> If it's just water, is that okay?

Sure. Be sure to drink a lot of pure water throughout the day.

> I'm concerned about ketosis.  Did any of you experience something similar?

I'm pretty sure I've experienced a brief bout of ketosis. Do you ever
have a funny taste in your mouth, or have you had trouble sleeping?
Again, the considerable decrease in carbohydrate intake is responsible.
My understanding (and probably what most people on this list will tell
you) is that you don't need to be concerned. To avoid ketosis, you can
up your carbohydrate intake. To avoid the unpleasant taste in your
mouth, Ray Audette recommends drinking more water, so that the ketones
leave your body via your urine.