From:
Padraig Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:25:51 -0400
>>>Wild men are savages, savages hunt for meat... tribes hunt for meat...
>>clearly ...
>
>> My point was that it was that sort of thinking that helped propagate the
>idea of "Man the Hunter".
>
>I can put your mind at ease on that one. The thinking that helped propagate
>hunting is millions of years old and predates our species of H. s. sapiens.
>All cultures that existed before 10,000-20,000 years ago had hunting as a
>key element of that culture and in all cases of hunting and gathering
>cultures studied so far, hunting is seen as sacred, not "savage." It is
>modern agrarian and industrial white men who most commonly view hunting as
>"savage."
>
>Hunting comes from nature and is found in all ancient indigenous cultures.
>Anti-hunting comes from those newer agrarian societies that have a tendency
>toward ethnocentrism, colonialism, and imperialism and think that there is
>only one right way to live. These powers have forced totalitarian
>agriculture on nearly all the indigenous peoples and nearly wiped them all
>out in the process.

I do agree with the totalitarian agriculture aspect of it. I view modern foods as
drugs, plain and simple. Them and their effects aren't much different to hard
drugs.

>Vegetarianism and fruitarianism are even newer concepts that some modern
men
>have been trying to force on indigenous peoples and indeed all people. These
>books will help put you further at ease regarding this and dispel the
>misguided notions of the overlords of Taker societies on these issues:

Uh oh... spaghettio. Seems like we're demeaning and degrading others' diet
choices again. You were doing so well for a long time there....

>Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
>The Ways of My Grandmothers by Beverly Hungry Wolf
>Vilhjalmur Stefansson
>The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred Game by Paul Shepard
>Limited Wants, Unlimited Means: A Reader on Hunter Gatherer Economics and
>the Environment, edited by John Gowdy
>Tribe by Bruce Parry
>The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers
>Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
>Stone Age Economics by Marshall Sahlins
>"Progress Kills" by Survival International (Survival International defends
>the rights, including the hunting rights, of indigenous Leaver peoples in
>the face of oppression from modern agrarian Taker societies)
>Perpetuating Hunter Tradition: Redefining Hunting In Terms Of Its Positive
>Influence On Youth, Society and The Environment by Randall L. Eaton, Ph.D.
>
>..and there are others.
>
>Relocating us will be meaningless if we do not have land to hunt on. - Peter
>Penashue, Innu, Canada
>
>> Maybe it's because of the dogma that seems to be floating around here
and
>> the net in general that the Paleo Diet consisted of a very high amount of
>meat
>> protein.
>
>Some people are dogmatic about it, yes, which is true in any dietary
>category. The worst fanaticism I have seen and experienced is from strict
>vegetarians & vegans, though that doesn't excuse it in any corner. You'll
>find some people in this forum who eat foods that aren't normally considered
>Paleo, such as dairy products. So people are generally fairly tolerant here.
>If anyone told you that this was a dogmatic or intolerant forum, they misled
>you. Some people strongly disagreed with my consumption of flax seed oil,
>perhaps in an overly negative way, but they didn't insult me or banish me
>and I used it as a motivator to question my assumptions and look further
>into the topic. If you have specific examples of dogma you see here by all
>means point them out.

I've taken seeds occasionally, including flax seeds. They're nice and meant to
be good for you. The only thing is their nutrition to calorie ratio seems a bit
low.

>I personally don't see a necessity to eat a very high amount of
>meat--requirements to eat only one type of food tend to come from modern
>people who base their nutrition on religious or philosophical dogmas from
>the last 2000 years, such as those behind some of vegetarianism/veganism.
>Most people here who eat a flesh-based diet came to it, like me, after
>trying other alternatives. Some people, such as the traditional !Kung San,
>seem to do well eating a sizable amount of nuts and other plant foods in
>addition to meats (though even they eat less carbs and more omega-3 fats
>than most Westerners). I hope you will also acknowledge that some people,
>such as the traditional Inuit, Plains Indians, Nenet and Yeniseians of
>Siberia, Enawene Nawe of Brazil, myself and others here, do very well indeed
>on a meat/fat/organ- or fish/seafood-based diet and that hunting/fishing is
>sacred to the remaining traditional indigenous peoples of the world who have
>not already been exterminated or subjugated and to people like me who hunt
>or fish to live healthfully and as natural/spiritual participation in the
>sacred wheel of life, not purely for sport or entertainment. I would defend
>your right to eat a fruit-based diet and I hope you would defend my right to
>eat a flesh-based diet, as sustainably as we both can, for there is no one
>precise right way to live.

Who knows, maybe we are also designed to eat a high protein diet. Maybe the
ratio of carbs/proteins/oil makes almost no difference. Are you aware of the
largest study of dietary habits done of all time, The China Study? They found
that plant-based was far better than protein-based diets. Personally I'd feel
*far* safer with a high carbohydrate diet than high protein one.

>Have you even tried a diet based on a raw or lightly- or slow-cooked
>pasture-fed meat/fat/organs or wild seafood for a few weeks? If not, how do
>you know how you would do on it? Stephen Covey had good advice on
>this--"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

I have for a few days, but I'm not doing that to myself for a few weeks...
good luck with trying to keep an alkaline body btw.

>By the way, you might be interested to learn something I've learned in my
>own investigations of my Irish heritage. Via DNA tracking, most of the Irish
>have been found to be descended from ancient Siberian hunter-gatherer
>peoples. The "Kets" Yeniseian peoples of Siberia retain the greatest
>concentration of genetic material from those ancient peoples and until the
>Soviets subjugated them in the 20th century were still living a
>hunter-gatherer lifestyle. So studying the Kets of the early 20th century
>gives a glimpse into the way of life of the ancestors of the Irish. As with
>the Kets, hunting was sacred to the ancient Irish hunter gatherers and
>pastoralists.
>
>Your questions and comments have helped me organize some of my own
thoughts.
>Thanks for that!
>
>Swiyohake'! / Tókhi wániphika ní! / Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat! / Good luck!

I'm also Irish!!! Well, Irish people surprisingly have the highest amount of blue-
eyed people in the world, I have light blue eyes. Blue-eyed people have been
scientifically shown to be far more introverted, thoughtful (it doesn't have to
mean great memory or fast-talking) and more gentle (rather than more
vigorous and cutthroat but there's nothing wrong with that at all in the right
circumstances). So I really doubt I'm evolved for a high-protein diet, as I'm
also introverted, not cut-throat and wouldn't go out hunting. I have no desire
or need for it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but as for me? No.