From:
Julie Kangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:36:53 -0700
I've never had fishy burps after the cholesterol
free fish oil capsules.  However, I've lately
been wondering about them.  In "Protein Power
Lifeplan", the Eades write that the capsules
can easily become rancid.  They suggest either
using cod liver oil or tasting a fish oil
capsule every few days and throwing out the
bunch if it's rancid.

I tried the orange flavored variety of
"Dale Andersons" brand of cod liver oil.
Getting it down was no problem but I
burped fish for three days afterwards.
Since I absolutely detest fish this was
not an experience I'm willing to undergo
again.

So am I stuck with flax seed?  I guess I'm really
more partial to fish extract on a philosophical
basis, even though I don't want to eat a whole
fish (so no sardines for this ungulate eater).
Does anyone have any thoughts on the
rancidity issue with fish oil capsules?  Does
Carlson's cod liver oil make you burp fish?

I'm also concerned about cod liver oil and
contaminants.  I was under the impression that
the processing that removes the cholesterol from
fish oil capsules also removes most pollutants
the fish may have ingested.  What type of
processing does cod liver oil go through?

Julie
("Here fishy fishy, I want your oil but not you...")