From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:26:39 +0100
Donna wrote:

>Amadaeus wrote:
>
><<A healthy bacteria population may be supported by lots of cress,

>raw roots, raw garlic...
>I love Rucola Salad :-) ... (engl:garden rocket or hedge mustard)
>And I don't wonder *why* the herbs taste so good....>>

>I tend to have arugula cravings (I think we're talking about the

>same
>herb)... can you elaborate on what you meant about not wondering why
>they taste so good?

I always wondered why generally things "taste good".
Meanwhile I found to the conclusion that this is a feature of our
body to tell us if it needs something really badly.
For some processes going on in our physiology (chemistry).
This need not be oriented on actually detecting ("tasting") the
needed stuff but rememberence of the taste of a food that once gave

us satisfaction.

Some tastes maybe even genetically fixed: the ones that gave us a
survival advantage.
I think this is the case for smoked things:
Why should smoke (remains of fire) taste good? There is nothing for

the body in it.
But liking smoked things may have supported survival because those

liking it
will have preferred well keeping things (as smoked are) -
protecting from parasites and botulinus intoxication.

Same for herbs - like rucola or aragula - they help us to keep a

healthy bacteria composition in the intestine.
They are protecting from bacteria/fungus toxins and producing some

vitamins.
Some herbs even conserve food actively (oregano, garlic for ex).
I think this is why herbs - though eaten in very small amounts
and not containing much nutrients-
can add much "good taste" to a food.

We "remember" past times when the herbs did good to us.

Does this sound logical to you?

Rucola is realy a tremendous herb (i use it pure as salad).
It tastes strong and a little nut-like. Very good with mushrooms too.
It's expensive over here but can be very easily grown in the own

garden.
Maybe it's similar to purslane.

regards

Amadeus