From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:45:04 -1000

I do consider this on topic because if true, it has a rather profound
effect on what an ideal human diet might look like.

> I may be biased, but I still prefer the "delight" theory of
> boobage.  That is, I think sexual signaling has more explanatory
> power than keeping milk at the right temp for babies.  For one

But why would breasts have sexual signalling power?  I've heard two
theories, both insane, as far as I'm concerned:  One, that breasts
"simulate" the butt, thus bringing the wonderful, exciting image of a
butt right up to eye level (or closer, anyway) where it can be enjoyed
by prospective mates (keeping in mind that "eye level" has changed over
the years, as we now wander around on twos not fours), and two, that
they are used as an age identifier.  This one makes especially no sense
because it doesn't do the female any good to broadcast that she's old
and infertile.

> thing, I don't think babies care that much what temp their milk
> is.  Another thing is this: If mothers were spending that much
> time wading in water up to their breasts, where were they
> carrying the babies? Over their heads?  Other primates don't need

Sorry, had to intercept on this one.  I have talked, on and off, with
Elaine Morgan and even had planned at one point to run an experiment for
her, but for various reasons the experiment had to be cancelled.  It
turned out she was so right in her assumptions that the experiment
became too dangerous to continue.  But that's another story.

It is worth noting at this point that (mind you I think this is rather
funny) babies float.  As long as the water is calm and they don't float
away, all is well.

And, most of them quite enjoy it.  Chimpanzee infants, basically, well,
sink.  Yes, this has been scientifically tested.  Someone, somewhere,
got too much funding.  No, the testing I'm referring to had nothing  do
with AAT or Elaine Morgan.

> hooters; they have genitalia that turn bright red when they're in
> heat -- always an ice-breaker at a party.

Hm, AAT also has quite a bit to say about heat, and humans apparent lack
of it.

It's only fair for me to point out that I've become quite biased on this
theory, after some years exploring it (not continuously!).

Erik