From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:40:30 +0100
Boel wrote:
> Unfortunately there is a lot of diabetes in Sweden. If I'm not mistaken
the numbers are higher in S. than in the rest of Europe. If this is a
"genetic defect" or just related to the food intake, I do not know.

Finland actually are worse off when it comes to diabetes. They also only had
agriculture for 2000 years whereas Sweden, or the South anyway had it for
about 6000 years.
I read some research where suspicion was directed towards potatoes and (red)
beetroot. The idea was that there was a substance on or in these two veggies
that harmed the pancreas of the unborn child. Finland has a large
consumption of potatoes and Sicily uses a lot of beetroot. Both countries
have higher incidence of diabetesI than other European countries.
Diabetes II used to be called "old age diabetes" but nowadays rather young
people get it. Only the last 30 years have people been eating cereals, like
corn flakes and other flattened, badly treated seads together with treated
milk. There was no rice, no puffed rice, no puffed wheat, no corn, no
cereals directly for the plate and there was only one sort of pasta called
macaroni. Pies of all kind have become popular tha last 30 years and people
use a lot of pasta. When you eat the tradional "smörgåsbord", perhaps 5% of
it consisted of different kinds of bread. When you buy a sandwich today at a
café you get enormous buns cut halv through with gluey mixures of beans and
polyunsaturated mayo with one shrimp (small) in it. Sort of!
The very southern part of Sweden where I come from there is, or rather was a
word for a badly cared of child - that is "breadchild". People seem to know
instinctively that bread is not what made humans.
Eva