From:
Emiliano Bussolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:02:41 +0200
>Diabetes is NOT one disease. Diabetes is a symptom(high blood glucose)
>that
>is possibly cause by different things.

David,
I'm not a scientist, nor a doctor, so I won't talk about theories but rather
of what I've observed on myself during these last few years of paleo-ish
diet vs IDDM.

1) I'm still on insulin, so the paleo diet hasn't got me off that, but on
average I'm down to 35\40 IU per day (I weight 87kg).
2) I'm fairly active. I run on average 30Km a week, I play basketball twice
a week and I lift weights a couple of times a week as well. I never ever
experience hypoglycemia, not even when I run for more than 2-3 hours.
3) To keep my BG in check I eat 30gr of rye bread approx. 1 hour before
exercising, otherwise the BG tends to go up afterwards. That's the only CHO
I eat, with the exception of the occasional piece of chocolate or such.
4) My problem has always been high BG in the morning. The only thing that
works for that is keeping dinner food intake as low as I can - without
starving. No CHO at all for dinner.
5) With my paleo-ish diet I'm reasonably energetic, rather skinny, and
generally quite happy with my health. I wish I could lower insulin intake,
but I don't seem to be able to do that.
6) Diabetes (my diabetes anyway) is a tough beast to come to terms with, so
I have periods in which BG is out of control for reasons I can't understand
or control. I've learned to accept that and try not to bother too much as
long as those periods are short and wide apart.
7) I no longer eat dairy products except a yogurt I prepare myself with
unpasteurized milk. My gut has benefitted greatly from that. I can't stand
cheese anymore.
8) I like and drink alcohol. I avoid beer and drink mostly wine, sometimes a
bit too much but it's a way of easing off the pressure...
9) Pemmican has became a staple of my diet and deep inside I feel that if I
could live just off that I would feel better.
10) I envy very much people like steve cooksey @
http://www.diabetes-warrior.net, who is able to stay completely off drugs
just with the right diet and exercise. But I can't.
11) I feel that eating raw would benefit me even more, but for the time
being I'm not doing that.
12) I probably should eat more fat and less protein, but it's not always
easy to find the right stuff.

So in a nutshell that's my experience with paleo and IDDM.

 --

 Sponsor:
 Ami l'arte e vuoi arredare casa con stile? Su MisterCupido.com puoi acquistare le RIPRODUZIONI DEI QUADRI di: Van Gogh, Monet, Klimt, Modigliani, Cezanne, Hayez, Michelangelo, Raffaello, ecc