From:
Brenda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:26:22 -0800
And, I, too, have been a member here almost that long.  I have also seen many topics discussed that were either not pertinent to me or just flat did not interest me at the time.  I hit the delete button rather than telling everyone else to stop talking about it.

I was a little leery when I first joined this group on the recommendation of Ginny, a friend of mine.  And it was for this very reason...it seemed that the whole premise was based on some sort of scientific "slant", which I do not hold in high regard, as a rule.  But as I "listened and learned", I found that it made a lot of sense in more ways than one, and that science really didn't come into play as the basic premise, so I stayed.  And all these years later, we have this mess.

There are plenty of other groups I could join, yes, but I have felt comfortable here through the years until now.  The reason I believe this discussion IS pertinent in the scheme of things is because some of us are being questioned and belittled merely because the logic behind our reasons for being here is somehow "less than...".  And that's a pretty crappy way of trying to get the message out, especially to people who may be easily intimidated (which I am not).  Had I experienced this attitude when I first joined, I can guarantee you I would have written you all off as a bunch of stuffy, narrow-minded wierdos and taken my business elsewhere.  And that makes me sad, since there is a great message here.

I own a non-moderated rawfeeding group for pets (which is how I eventually ended up here), and we welcome discussion of any kind, even if it seems a bit off-topic, as that is how people feel most comfortable and open to learning.  And I am proud to say that we have never had this kind of contentious discussion, although disagreeing with someone is quite common there, because it's done with courtesy and respect and sometimes humor, not with blatant disregard for another's feelings or beliefs.  And if someone wants or needs to go a bit off-topic to explain why they are asking something or where they are coming from with an idea, then great.  More learning opportunities for the rest of us.  And more opportunities for yet one more person's pets to get proper nutrition.  After all, that's the whole idea, right?

Love,
Bren

I've been a member of this ML since 2000.  I've had it! This
contentious bickering about religion and creation vs. evolution
is a complete and total waste of my time.  Despite numerous
messages from members to get off the religious topic and
back to discussing paleofood, it just keeps going.

Good luck to you all.
I hope you find what you're looking for.

    Lynnet