From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:53:10 -0600
Hi Debbie, good to see you here.

I've only been experimenting with Paleo since January, and it's only
recently I completely have gone off grains.  I'm experiencing a great
deal of well-being on this diet.

> my one starting question is about how to know how to have a balanced diet.
> while I believe that the paleo diet can be a healthful one I don't have
> experience with it.  i know that native groups had diets that were passed
> down through generations with all knowledge handed down.  I don't have that.
>   such as the inuit would eat the kidneys and tongues from the caribou and
> feed the muscle meat to their dogs.

Well, what I tended to do was "fill up" on grains, and since I gave up
doing that, I notice that I need to eat more vegetables, more meat,
more fat.  My feeling is that the grains displaced the more
nutritional food.  If I just go to the produce section and buy
everything that looks attractive, and actually get around to eating it
that week (and eating with meat, so I am not hungry), it strikes me as
being the healthiest kind of diet there could be.  My skin is clearer
and my body is not as stiff.  And eating lots of fat reduced my
cravings for carbohydrates eventually.

I was going to say, I am not sure how you organize planning your
meals, but I find it impossible to stay on the Paleo diet without
planning my meals at least the day before, so I can thaw something
from the freezer.  And crock pots help lots.

sincerely,
Jana