From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:20:38 -0600
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:57:09 -0600, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I'm not talking about a person feeling like they're starving.  I'm
>> talking  about the body's starvation response.  What you're describing
>> is basically  like a cyclical ketogenic diet, just on a 24-hour cycle.
>> You burn off the  stored glycogen, then you put it all back.
>
> This is *not* a starvation response, and it's unlikely that one would
> enter ketosis eating this way,

I didn't mean to say that the "one a day" diet was ketogenic, only that it
was similar in the way it uses and replenishes glycogen stores.  You are
quite right that ketosis is not likely if you're eating carbs at that one
meal.

> Beyond that, extended caloric restriction can cause the metabolism to
> slow in other ways, such as reduction of body temperature.  The
> literature on CR suggests that this slowing is beneficial for longevity,
> but I haven't experienced it yet.

That's the rub, isn't it?  You won't know whether it extended your
lifespan until it's all over with.  As a good friend of mine once put it,
"It's a shame that you can lead a great life, stay in great shape, do
everything right, and in the end, you're just going to die anyway."

>> By not taking in any food at all, I can't help but think the body will
>> begin conserving resources.  ...
>
> But no one is talking about not taking in any food at all.

I didn't mean you were completely fasting -- but for 23 hours out of the
24, you are.  That's what I meant by "no food at all".  If your blood
sugar is back to baseline four hours after eating, then for 20 hours out
of 24 (80% of the time), your body is in a fasting state.

> Yes, but I'm skeptical about anything the diabetes experts say, since
> they also typically recommend a high-starch, low-fat diet, which is
> sheer insanity.

Good point.

> I do *not* think the once-a-day system is a license to gorge on
> carbohydrates.

No argument there.  :-)

--
   Robert Kesterson