Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 23:15:10 -0500
I have been on and off this list under various names for I can't recall how
many years, maybe since 2002?. In general I have been very happy with the
level of mature discussion. There have been a few people who got a bit testy
and tedious, but nothing that bothered me much.

I enjoy the debates, even rehashing the old arguments: salt, bambi cheese,
new-world foods and etc etc. It isn't bad to go back over old ground, and we
do get new people in who need advice on topics already long covered.

Creation vs evolution? ( Doesn't bother me since I hold the middle ground,
an 'old-earth-creationist' from way back.) These things just are not worth
getting angry about. I go my way and am happy to see others going different
ways. I think Cordain is making some errors, sure, but he seems to have good
reasons for his arguments. Fine. I look at the evidence from a different
angle and get somewhat different answers. Neither of us is hurt by the
disagreement. We could both well be wrong.

As to the 'REAL' paleo diet, there is no such thing. Maybe I should have put
that in all caps, THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!!

The human race inhabits almost the entire land area of the world and all the
ecosystems therein. We have had to eat whatever was available in that
ecosystem, plant and animal. What each group came up with was different, had
to be different. Eskimos ate a diet very high in meat and fat. Good. Other
groups ate more plants. Fine. I would guess that my ancestors were probably
European Cro-Magnon, and my understanding from bone analysis is that their
diets were very high in meat, but also included some fish and plants. Was it
high-fat meat? Cordain says no but I say yes. Was it raw? No clues, but I
guess no. Except for me personally (and my wife who has to put up with my
food fetishes) who cares what I eat?