From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:43:13 -0500
William wrote:
> I chewed  wheat as in the bible story when 5 years old. Many rural kids
did it. It becomes gummy, like chewing gum.

This reminds me - my father told me that as a kid, he used to chew the sap
from black spruce trees.  Traditional Cree chewing gum, he called it.  Years
later, hiking in that same region, I tried it.  When you first put it in
your mouth, the sap is sticky and runny, with a very piny astringent taste,
but soon coalesces into a good satisfying chew.  I wonder what sort of
nutrients one might gain from tree sap.

cheyenne