From:
Cecilia Moen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 07:44:36 +0200
>My son has eczema also!  His pediatrician said that it was from
bathing him
>daily and never even mentioned the possibility of it being caused by
a food
>allergy!!!!!!!!! He didn't ask what I feed him or anything (he eats a
lot of
>grains). Will you please tell me a bit more about that? Thanks ~
Cathy

I think logically any eczema that shows up when solids are introduced
must be related to the introduction of food. I was force-fed as most
babies were in the 60's (mom took a spoon and put things in my mouth).
I think I was allergic to many things but then repressed the symptoms.
Watching the way my daughter reacted to food has brought that whole
issue out for me, and made me interested in finding another diet for
both of us.

There is still little known about food allergies and sensitivities,
probably because it is a relatively new problem. Basically they fall
into different symptom categories - producing problems in the airways
(astma, stuffiness, etc), the skin (eczema, rashes, spots, acne, etc)
and the digestive system (diahorrea, constipation, changes in the
intestinal wall etc). In England I know they are researching the
effect on the brain due to lowered blood circulation (also a common
symptom).

Here in Sweden 42% of all children have either astma or an allergy
today. SCARY! I think food is a major factor.

Here are some ideas thrown about by doctors here (comparng with East
European children in poorer countries) when it comes to food:
- the lack of healthy bacteria in food due to refrigeration
- modern processed food with additives
- modern varied diets due to import

I think if your son has eczema it might be worth it to try him on a
grain free diet too.

Maybe we can do it together off list? I have this vague plan to slowly
introduce things, get stocked up and then start September 1st. I might
even remove all food for 1 day, giving my daughter breastmilk only, so
I need to know there's lots of food and support ready. :-)

Cecilia in Sweden