From:
Neil Timms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 04:07:29 +0800
Ron,

I'm staying out of the religion evolution debate, fruitless - I'll
keep my thoughts to myself however...

I’m interested in your comment about “whole one-diet-fits-all Paleo
paradigm is easily discredited by evolution but not Creationism.”

I may not be so well informed about paleo culture but I’ve taken
strict paleo to be a subset of what is healthy to eat. That set
intersects with other ways of eating but some non strict paleo foods
(dairy) may not be harmful to some due to adaptation (here I mean by
our genetic ancestors given adaptation takes generations). So I can
thrive on strict paleo and still thrive on foods that I have become
adapted to. Most of Northern European descent will have some capacity
to tolerate Dairy for example and apparently Grains - although from
what I can see Grains will always win one way or another given the
range of ailments that may appear and sometimes later in life. I think
that the ‘Vegitarian Myth’ makes a very good case for Grains winning
the evolutionary battle overall - grains will eventually finish humans
off one way or another.

For myself my Dairy tolerance has diminished as I’ve aged - I can
still cope with butter, Creme Fraiche, (high fat, and fermented) but
even a full fat yoghurt will cause me unpleasant symptoms now. When I
was younger I could drink cows milk by the pint but not for some
years.  I think epigenetics is useful for understanding why this might
be - on that point, the general scientific view was I believe that
most of the human genome was junk; yet apparently not. I’m willing to
wager that as time goes on we will find out that more and more of the
‘junk’ is involved in gene expression than was previously thought.
Gene expression is moderated by noncoding DNA and this expression is
in some cases time programmed (e.g. infants and milk). What a strange
world we inhabit when we don’t expect a calf to suckle cows milk after
weening and yet think it’s fine to feed our own infants and adults the
milk of a different species.

I think that another issue that effects everything is that most if not
all the human benchmarks for health, drugs, and disease have been
established using deficient populations. Deficient populations because
their diet and lifestyle was not correctly human in the first place.
Establishing a baseline for optimal human health will always involve
some guesswork and interpretation.

And regarding sex I recommend “Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of
Modern Sexuality” Paleo may not just be about food.

Bit of a ramble.

Cheers

Neil

--