From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 18:06:11 +0900
On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 03:59  PM, Jens Wilkinson wrote:
> I have one question about the practice of prechewing
> food. I was under the impression that parents could
> pass on germs to the babies, and that this could lead
> to cavities.

Read two conflicting things about pre-chewed food. People who chew food
for babies before they have teeth actually help by in effect
inoculating the babies, so they tend to have fewer cavities in the long
run. On the other hand, babies who get food from the mouth only after
they have their own teeth in have the opposite results, more cavities.

My own guess is that it isn't bad for babies to encounter normal
bacteria when they are still protected by the mother's antibodies in
milk. Excessively sterile conditions probably are not the best in the
long run. Some studies suggest that it can lead to allergies and
asthma. Recent "scientific advice" says to keep dogs and cats in the
house with the babies, as these kids will wind up the healthiest.
Sounds good to me, but I can't convince my wife! The social benefits of
pets are tremendous as well.