From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:15:20 -1000
Over the last few months I have added quite a bit of salt to my diet.
So by that I mean I've added about 1,000 mg of sea salt on a nearly
daily basis, in the form of added salt (as an ingredient in something)
in addition to whatever natural sodium I might have been getting from
the meat I eat, which constitutes most of my diet.  I've been paleo for
3 years now and am really enjoying it, but still had some problems with
dehydration, anxiety, sleeplessness, and also some GI problems.  Mind
you, they are NOTHING compared to the problems I had before I started
paleo!  I've noticed that adding low-salt sauerkraut (not paleo I know,
ingredients = cabbage and sea salt) to my diet really helped everything,
and I didn't expect it to!  Thinking it was the salt, I ate less of it
and added lau lau, to the same effect (lau lau = pork, butterfish, sea
salt, taro leaf wrapped in ti leaf or something very similar to that).
It seems to be the salt.   Being philisophically attracted to the paleo
diet, but having better results if I change things around a little, I
must ask, what do you guys think might be going on?  Am I eating too
little carbohydrates (carbs come from fruit for me, as I'm allergic to
almost everything else)?  I do try to avoid ketosis, which makes me
miserable (same symptoms but worse).

Any ideas?

Erik