Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 12:56:56 -0600
From: "Ron Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]>

> [Ron] An observation that I've made, being a modern person myself, is that
> pregnant women seem to become particularly busty.

Ha.  Quite true. Then there, done that.

Quoting from the article:

"Cook suggested it could be symbol of fertility, perhaps even portrayed in
the act of giving birth. "

"Mellars suggested a more basic motivation for the carving: "These people
were obsessed with sex." "

Hmmmm.  But don't we always put a little of ourselves into the opinions that
we form when looking at art?  I think it possible that Mellars is saying
more about himself than about the individual who made the little object.  It
could be a fertility symbol, a pregnant woman giving birth, an idealized
version of what a woman actually looked like, et cetera.  It does not have
to be representative of the actual physical appearance of women at the time.

Kath