From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:54:45 EDT
"Many of the chemical manufacturing processes developed during the
Industrial Revolution required large quantities of pure sodium
chloride
(NaCl) as a raw material. It was cheaper and more efficient to derive
the
NaCl needed to manufacture explosives, chlorine gas, agricultural
chemicals
and plastics from landlocked souces. Since then, most food salt (which
accounts for only 7% of the demand) is scooped from batches of
industrial
salt that has been mechanically and chemically-processed to remove
other
minerals (those are sold seperately). Be careful of marketing words
like
"sun and sea breezes" or "evaporated"- remember- all salt is a result
of
evaporation and was once in the sun and sea. Only a handful of
companies
still proudly harvest and wash salt from the sea without using
bulldozers,
cement beds or chemicals. Their salt is actually solar-dried rather
than
exposed to intense heat that can alter its molecular structure. These
salts
will use the words unrefined or no heat, and will not include any
additives
at all" from A Real Life, "Good Salt: It's Essential", Spring 2000 no
21,
p.13

So in the first place, the salt from landlocked salt mines has been
filtering rain water for eons, which has washed away many of it's good
minerals. To boot, the rest of the good minerals are removed during
processing, leaving pure NaCl...from which we make products like
chlorine
bleach. I don't even want to imagine what our bodies are doing with
the
stuff. You can order Celtic Sea Salt direct, 1-800-867-7258, but you
will
pay a little more than if you can find it retail. Walnut Acres sells
Maldon
salt http://www.walnutacres.com

One deceitful company is Hain Pure Foods, whose sea salt label was
terribly
unimpressive, confusing to someone who doesn't have all the facts.
That salt
is every bit as poisonous as Morton, but Hain charges twice as much!