Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:27:38 -0700
>I wrote:
>Does anyone know of a proven link between demanding mental work
>and increased consumption of carbohydrates?  Protein doesn't give me what I
>need, only carbs seem to help the mental load.  I also remember reading
>somewhere that 60% of all energy consumption is in the brain, but I don't
>have a reference for it.
>
>----------------------------------

Then Mary quoted later on:

 > Ketosis is caused by
 >the metabolism of dietary fat when carbohydrate is unavailable or during
 >starvation. Ketosis elevates blood levels of two ketone bodies
 >(D-beta-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate) which provide the brain with a
 >non-glucose substrate, thereby sparing muscle from metabolic destruction
 >for glucose synthesis -- remember, except for ketones, the brain can only
 >use glucose as a fuel.

This seems to confirm my hypothesis that the brain does indeed require a
substantial amount of glucose during periods of high work load (i.e., every
day, except weekends).

Can I ask if there is anybody here who has a mentally exhausting job, and
is able to stick to a strict lo-carb paleo diet (i.e., only one piece of
fruit and no complex carbs)?

Kat.