From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:04:34 -0700
Liz,

You can use collards and kale as you would cabbage.  They're rather
fiberous raw, but they're delicious sauted with garlic and/or onion.
I've simmered them in turkey bone stock and ham bone stock.  Both were
very good.

Tried growing celery root a couple years ago amongst the many other
"weird" veggies I grow--they didn't like the weather that year.  It's
great that you can find them at the store.  My dang backwards,
backwoods
hillbilly grocery store don't carry them there kind o' things, when I
run out of stuff in the off-season.  "What's this?" they ask, when I
bring the checkout person a bunch of kale, collards, chard, kohlrabi,
fennel, daikon radish, etc.  When I tell them, they give that sugary,
obese sort of laugh and say, "Oh, hahha--I don't eat vegetables!"

Lois