Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:29:11 -0500
Larry Magee wrote:
> I've been eating a la Cordain for 7 months and reading the posts on this
> list.  A number of you are eating a high fat carnivorous diet with almost
> no fruit and vegetables.  I'd like to try it.  I've read Bears forum --
> http://activenocarber.myfreeforum.org/Bear_s_Words_Of_Wisdom_about22.html
>
> His diet is rare meat (with lots of animal fat) plus cream and cheese.  It
> strikes me that the cream and cheese aren't Paleo so I probably wouldn't
> include that.  Any good information on other zero carb Paleo diets would be
> appreciated.
>
> I'm not willing to mail order to get grass fed meat.  Is that a show stopper?
>
> Bear claims you can get enough of all vitamins, including C, from very rare
> beef.  Is that right?
>
> Also, if I can't get beef tallow will the pork product lard do for cooking?
>
> thanks

A better guide to zero carb is here: http://tinyurl.com/d3qbhu (although
one must register).

Geoffrey Purcell's comments are valid, except that vit. C is evidently
needed only for carbohydrate digestion. There is something else in raw
meat that takes its place.
The experience of  both Stefansson and Bear shows that vitamin
supplements are not needed.

I get my grassfed organic beef from a farmer; you could also probably do
that.

There are too many bad things about modern lard. I would not use it.
Coconut oil is not an adequate replacement for animal fat. Our bodies do
not use it the same way.
Tallow is the way if cooking, and if you can't buy it is easily made by
baking hide fat in a non-metallic vessel at 225°F overnight. (ceramic on
steel)

William