From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:37:54 EDT
In a message dated 7/14/03 10:44:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> was that before you introduced coconut oil and
> perhaps a result of your higher protein diet?).

I'd used coconut oil for cooking or unsweetened coconut milk for salad
dressings but I was not methodically taking approximately 1 tablespoon at least 3
times per day as I am now.  It will be interesting to see how  or if my lipids
have changed. I will re-test in several months after I have hopefully lost
those last few stubborn pounds of fat coating my thighs.  I don't think higher
protein had anything to do with my lipid readings because I've eaten unlimited
protein for many years. So long as I keep carbs restricted, my triglycerides
generally stay in the 30s.  At times, my overall cholesteral has been higher and
so has my LDL, but my HDL has remained proportionately high in those instances
at well.  In other words, when my LDL rises, my HDL also rises.  On the other
hand, there is the school of thought that cholesterol levels simply do not
matter much  at all in terms of heart disease specifically or longevity in
general.  They can fluctuate for a number of reasons -- familial
hypercholesterolemia (which is allegedly resistant to dietary changes), hypothyroidism, getting
older, etc.  But if one feels better (more energy, less constipation, etc) and
looks better (slimmer, less body fat) -- then why focus on cholesterol levels
at all???  I'm beginning to think that more harm can come from focusing too
much on lab numbers and not enough on how one actually feels.  In my case, it
will be more telling I believe to retest my in the Fall/Winter.  I think that
the added sunlight exposure from the summer months (I've purposely trained
myself to get up about 2-3 hours earlier in the morning and am taking sun bathes)
is certainly helping my thyroid and that could also explain increased energy
and easier time losing fat.

While Ray Peat's books certainly support the idea that one should eat
adequate protein to maintain normal metabolism, he is not a fan of huge portions of
muscle meats which he claims cause a stress response although he also says this
response is blunted by the presence of fat. I could not find specific
calculations in his books for what he considers "ideal" protein amounts.  He  does
advocate a mix of high quality proteins including eggs, gelatin (he's especially
keen on gelatin), dairy products, shellfish etc.  While I do agree with some
of his recommendations ie minimize or eliminate grains and polyunsatured fats
-- I disagree with others.  For instance, he is a big believer in dairy
products (whole, natural -- not the low-fat, junk).  Dairy products simply do not
agree with everyone (can cause or worsen bloating, constipation, etc.) and I
believe they are arguably not paleo despite some interesting and persuasive
arguments posted recently to the contrary.  But neither is dark chocolate and I eat
that.  He also advocates fruit throughout the day to purportedly keep T3
levels high.  This may work for some people, but for others -- eating fruit or
juice several times a day causes hunger and fat gain.

Is it correct that you have been on an all meat/fat diet for 6 months
straight??  Just meat with fat intact and water ??? Fascinating.   I am increasingly
convinced that this kind of regime provides adequate (if not ideal) nutrition
for health -- just as Anchell ("Steak Lover's Diet") claims.  Others, however,
(including Peat) seem to feel that additional dietary carbs are necessary.