From:
Jim Cales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:51:48 -0600
Your point about cooking is well made.  Over the flames makes great
movies, but is not a very good way to cook.  Lots of burning and not
much cooking.  Cooking pits were probably much more useful.

In regards to the raw meat:  I have recently altered my diet to a 100%
raw state including animal products.  From this personal experience I
can honestly say that one could very easily eat quite enough raw meat
and fat to fill that portion of their dietary needs.

In fact the biggest problem I have is with the modern storage of food.
Meat that is served at 40 degrees is not only odd it is disgusting!
Clearly my 37 years of cooking bias combined with wrong presentation has
made this very hard to do.   I think that raw animal products need to be
at body temperature before they even begin to seem right.  Alas, this is
rather hard to achieve easily.  Even better might be "fresh kill" but
again that is pretty tricky to do.

I suspect our ancestors had no such dilemma though.  Chase it, kill it,
eat it!   ;-)   Fresh and tasty.

Jim