From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:49:45 -0900
> People on this list interpret paleolithic diet in diverse ways.
> Some use the Neanderthin rule, to the effect that any food that
> is obtainable and edible to a human "naked with a sharp stick"
> (and only such food) is acceptable.  Since tomatoes, and some
> other nightshades, pass this test they are acceptable.

I thought that nightshade plants were black-listed as a group
because they are basically poisonous in the wild, and that it was
only with domestication (agriculture) that the toxin level was
reduced in the fruits/tubers to consumable levels.  I'm vaguely
recalling something Ray said a long time ago on one of the lists (I
don't think it was this one).  I think the post mainly described the
domestication of potatoes to reduce the solanine in the tuber flesh,
but talked about nightshade plants in general, too.

Ah well, so be it.  They are off *my* paleo list, which is all I need
concern myself with.

Lisa Sporleder
Ester, Alaska