From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:26:59 -0400
> thank you for that  ,i think i might have been low ( i never measured it).
> so what could impair the level of cholesterol in the blood if the dieterary
> one is irrelevant?
> jean-claude

Malnutrition.  Near the end of my 13-year odessy as a vegan,
my cholesterol was extremely low.  Two years after I started
eating meat, the levels shot way up (mainly because of the
adrenal/thyroid malfunction caused by the long-term dietary
stress, as I later deduced).  Of course, the allopathic
doctor told me to go on a low-fat, high-complex carbo diet
(The same one that made me sick in the first place).  I
ignored him, found a holistic M.D. that would work on the
endocrine problems, started adrenal/thyroid treatment, and
now my blood fats are great.

There are many reasons the liver under- or over-manufactures
cholesterol.  (Eighty percent of your cholesterol is
manufactured in the liver.)  Malnutrition (from
malabsorption, other wasting diseases like cancer or AIDS,
extremely low-fat diet) is the first thing I can think of
off-hand for low-cholesterol.  Poor T4 to T3 conversion
(Wilson's Syndrome) or other, more "accepted" forms of
hypothyroidism, will result in high cholesterol.  (I'm
guessing from all this that low body temperature with the
resulting slowing of enzyme function has a lot to do with
high cholesterol.  The enzyme alkaline phosphatase is
involved in choleterol-splitting, but I don't know where or
how.  D'adamo mentions this somewhere in his work.)  These
are just a few things I've come across in my personal
investigations.  (I'm sure someone else here can offer you
more than I can on this subject.)

Lois