From:
Ella Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 1998 23:03:47 +0200
Rick Strong wrote:
> > This sounds like another chemistry set approach to weight loss rather
> > than eating appropriate quantities of the right food balanced by paleo appropriate
> > levels of excercise.

You're right, I agree that we are living in a society that is not
paleolistic in ideas of a balanced proportion of natural foods to
exercise.  Instead, so many of us (I extremely guilty) get impatient
with ourselves because we aren't living up to some extreme ideal, and
then run out to find a quick fix.  With advertisements and media
bombarding us daily with the message of what we're "supposed" to look
like, it's no wonder we live in a world gone mad over our image at the
cost of our health among other things.

> > You had asked of the opinion of  "paleo experts" and I certainly am
> > not but am interested  in the reactions of others as well.  If the idea
> > is to somewhow goose metabolism, aren' t there better ways to do that
> > such as increasing muscle mass,  putting novelty into routine
> > excercise, and letting nature run it's course?

I would hope we can remind each other of such wisdom as a support group
to this list.  For many of us, this list is so vital to keep us in that
right direction.

> > The compounds mentioned are all natural but are concentrated
> > extractions and, utilized in that manner, are medicinal and powerful.
> > On the other hand, these are all commonly used items.  It just seems
> > like one more attempted shortcut on the order of those over the
> > counter diet pills.

I just found the topic interesting as it seems to be a natural chemical
way for some, who may have some real obesity problems, to lose weight
without having to go on the other chemical stuff prescribed by weight
loss doctors.  I guess it's a personal choice.

As for me, thanks for reminding me that the paleolithic/hunter gatherer
concept is not just for looking good right now, but is for a healthier
longlasting process that should continue as a journey of life.

Ella
(who enjoys this lifestyle and the freedom one can find through it)