Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:15:37 -0700
Also:  Men plus Dogs can catch most animals.    Some men
hunt pigs in Europe with spears on foot with dogs.

Cats have relatively small lungs.

One day with snow just right I chased a deer out of three
hiding places;  It would stop running and hide shortly after
it got out of my sight.

Lorenzo

> > >They ran to hunt down animals sometimes....
> >
> >         Try running anything down greater than the size
of a rat and you will soon
> > realize that man is a dismal runner for the purpose of
running down game.

> In _Children of the Ice Age_, anthropologist Steven
Stanley has a
> more optimistic view of this.  He argues that the human
ability
> to run down game is highly developed.  This ability does
is not
> the same as being able to *outrun* game in a short sprint,
as
> many predators do.  We are indeed dismal at that.  But for
> purposes of simply forcing the prey to keep moving until
> exhausted, when we can then kill it, we are well adapted.
That
> is, we can run longer, continuously, than most of the
animals