From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:49:43 -0800
> The original foraging way of life meant that You would eat Your food
> within a few days, share with the band, and go get more from mother
> nature when needed. No storing. Equality. No power hierarchy.
> Once You need to store food, there will be someone who stores more,
> or
> manages the storing ("Kings and Cannibals"), and so there is a power
> hierarchy, greed and other things. This is the first step, and is
> typical for american west coast indian cultures depending on salmon.
> - Hans

Hello all, I'll delurk for a minute. I just finished reading a book on
traditional storage structures used by the Cree of Wemindji (a
subarctic community in NE Quebec). Hans, storage was essential in h/g
cultures! Without food caches, starvation was certain, esp. during the
winter. Why do you think sophisiticated techniques for drying and
smoking fish and meat were developed?  Traditional Cree culture is big
on sharing food... thus counteracting any tendencies toward "power
hierachy and greed", as you put it. Speaking of which, I went to a
traditional Cree feast last night - ate smoked inside-out moose
intestine, boiled moose head, bear with frozen bear fat, cranberry
sauce, boiled beaver tail, and goose. Delish.
cheers,
cheyenne

=====